Monday, December 5, 2011

THE TORTOISE AND THE HEIR. 20TH CENTURY STYLE

It’s no secret that Japan has a pretty good economy and that they have their stuff together pretty tight. Well apparently they also have money to burn. Literally. So I absolutely love cars. Especially foreign sports cars, and after seeing this story I am about to tell you guys about I about died. So in Japan earlier today 5 Ferraris, a Lamborghini and a few Mercedes-Benz were all wrecked in a pile up. Actually wrecked is an understatement. More like destroyed. This pile up of cars totaled over a million dollars in damages.  So I am sure you are all wondering how this happened. Well the article explains it best:  The group — which Japanese police officials called “a gathering of narcissists” — were driving to a supercar meet-up in Hiroshima, where about 100 vehicles were expected to show. As one driver who was invited along but passed noted, it was unusual for such a drive to take the expressway — where speeds are closely monitored and traffic can be thicker due to lower tolls on Sundays. Even so, the Ferraris were estimated to have been running between 80 mph and 100 mph when the crash happened.

Police and video reports say the wreck began when a 60-year-old businessman from Fukushima driving a Ferrari F430 attempted to pass a Toyota Prius, but instead hit the guardrail. That set off a chain reaction among the cars driving in a tight formation behind the lead Ferrari, eventually wrapping up seven other Ferraris— namely a 360 Modena, F355 and a white Testarossa — along with a Lamborghini Diablo and a couple of high-end Mercedes. Does this sound like a 20th century version of the Tortoise and the Heir? I mean how crazy is this story? One Toyota Prius caused all of these cars to wreck. To make it even better the Toyota Prius escaped with minor injuries.  Nobody was severely hurt in this wreck. Well not physically at least. I’m sure the owners of these cars weren’t very happy to say the least. I think this is the perfect time to say “Only in Japan”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment