Monday, December 5, 2011

LUCKY AND SMART MONEY

Winning the lottery is probably a dream that everyone has had or thought about at least once in their lifetime. I keep up with the lottery fairly well. Mainly because I work so much and my job sells its fair share of lottery tickets.  I play every once in awhile but of course I haven’t won. Every time someone wins the lottery it is usually not in my state, it is a place that always has winners and it is always somebody that does not need it.  I am not talking about small amounts, but the big jackpots. Like 254 million type jackpots. So recently the Powerball jackpot of 254 million was recently won by three money managers in Connecticut. Oh and to make this better, the 254.2 million was the after tax amount, and it was even the one of the biggest jackpots won in Connecticut.  How ironic?!! Why are they even playing the lottery in the first place? Every once in awhile shows will come on TV about people that have won the lottery and show how their lives have changed. Well surprisingly many of the people that win huge jackpots end up spending the money in bad ways and they end up being in a worse position then what they were in before they won the lottery. A lot of this is because of poor money management. So what happens when money managers win the lottery? I would hope that because of their job titles they would be one of the few people that invest their money and more out of it.
 Also I think that many expected that because these men were money managers that they needed to donate the money. Well these men had made a promise of philanthropy and sure enough they make good on that promise. They are donating the money to 5 charities that assist veterans.  That is very nice of them and not too many people can say that would do this and still follow through with it. Ok even though these men obviously have good jobs I think that should keep some of the money for themselves. The article did not mention if they were going to or not, but I think that rightfully deserve it. I am jealous and yes a little bit bitter that they won, but at the same time they did what everyone else does that plays the lottery, and that was just purchasing a ticket. After thinking a bit I came to the conclusion that the lottery jackpot fell into the right hands.  The men donating this money to charities that assist veterans couldn’t have been a better idea. The veterans in this country do not receive the treatment and assistance that they deserve. Kudos to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment